Uptime question

island4ever

Question

I had the internet cut out here tonight and trying to narrow down the culprit. My island has a connection to the modem, to my core switch, and to a wattbox. When looking at the network page in the island management site and it has the interfaces, IPV4, MAC, and Since. What does since mean exactly? Does it mean that whatever was connected to that port has been up since then? Does it mean that the port itself has been up since then? I have different dates and times across the three interfaces that I am plugged into on the Island and I'm trying to figure out what went down?

8 answers to this question

Good morning.  We had a major release last night and it appears that interfaces that were in manual mode don't get their configuration updated properly.  If you have an interface in manual mode, you can either roll back to the prior version, or reset the configuration options properly.

Or if you prefer, you can enable Support and we'll fix it for you.

Oh, and to answer your question more directly, the "since" on an interface is the time since the current state occurred.  In other words, if the interface is "up" then that's the time when it became "up", and if it's down, then that's the time it went down.

Interfaces can be in "automatic" or "manual" mode.  In automatic mode, all of the individual settings that control things like DHCP and IPv6 and so on are handled automatically.  In manual mode, you have direct control over every little setting.  The update appears to be modifying the configuration incorrectly when an interface is in manual mode.  And it also appears to be doing that only when it's an unattended update.

We've re-issued the update to resolve this issue.  So one option is, just roll it back to v2.1.1 (in the CLI, run "rollback" and choose option 1).  Then it will update again tonight and it should update properly.  Either that or we'll be happy to help you fix it, just let us know.

No, auto configuration is fine.  But any interface in manual mode got its settings messed up, so the solution is either to change the settings back, or roll back the firmware.  (Because the update changes the configuration, it makes a backup in the rollback checkpoint.)