Not getting DHCP from router

island4ever

Question

4 answers to this question

Only have one switch connected in the 192.168.81.1 range, I accidentally placed the AP outside that range, would it potentially cause problems? It was literally the only device i couldn't see on the network so I can't configure my wifi since I'm not getting an IP address anywhere. 

It may not cause problems since the APs bridging function really shouldn't be impacted, but of course you won't be able to manage the AP.

Perhaps a factory reset on the AP would put it back into DHCP mode and then it would get an address so you could then get to it?

Alternatively, you could configure an unused port on Island with an address that includes the block that the AP is in, and either enable cross-LAN permissions for a device to get to it, or put a device on the same network with it (even a wireless device using that actual AP) and then maybe you could get to the AP to reconfigure it.  But that might be more trouble than just resetting it.

I haven't configured an unused port yet. When doing that, do you assign it a range and everything plugged in to that port (either individually or through a switch) is assigned that range?

Sure.  But you can "just plug it in" and it should work with the defaults.  If you don't like the default DHCP range (50-...) then you can certainly change it, but if the default range is acceptable, then you don't have to do anything.